1. Brown the tri-tip in a pan (might be in two batches so you don't over crowd the pan and it steams). Move to the slow cooker.
2. Brown the sausage in the same pan, move to the slow cooker.
3. Sweat the onion, scallion, garlic in the same pan (you want the browned bits as well for flavor).
4. Pour in one brown ale and scrape pan with spoon to release the browned bits from the bottom. Pour in second brown ale and allow to boil for 5 minutes, move to slow cooker after 5 minutes.
5. Add remaining ingredients into the slow cooker. Stir to mix thoroughly. Set on high for 7 hours (or 8 hours if you prefer a thicker chili).
6. At the 60-minute mark lift lid (making sure not to let water drain back in from under side of lid) and stir.
7. After 2 hours, lift lid and stir again. Crack lid so steam escapes.
8. Stir every 30-40 minutes (again making sure not to let water drain back in from under side of lid).
9. Top with garnish (our favorites: scallions, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and LQ Hot Sauce).